Saturday 25 October 2014

Editing my prelim

From this experience of editing in Adobe After Effects, I have learnt how to choose the best selection of shots to use in the final cut from a long recording by watching through it and cutting and putting the shots together so that they would play neatly and coherently. I made these decisions mentally but I was also testing the editing of the clips to make sure the product looked good. The storyboard also helped me edit as I knew which camera angle and line of script should have been in each shot.

While editing, I found that many clips had strange sound swapping from left ear to right ear to both ears and loud background noise because other groups were filming their prelim's and so these clips were quite annoying and off-putting to work with. Additionally, I couldn't edit the prelim to get around continuity errors of movement and arm positions because we just didn't film enough clips where they flowed accurately.

I followed the storyboard according to the shots we filmed. The second shot was supposed to be an over the shoulder shot but is further away and more angled than an over the shoulder shot. The storyboard also showed some close up shots but we filmed these from over the shoulder except the last one. Lastly, we never filmed a wide shot of her saying "I won't wait for you", instead we filmed "It's got to be done/I can't wait for you/I won't wait for you" as an over the shoulder shot and so I edited in a wide shot we filmed of her turning around to walk away so there were more shots at the end.


We filmed extra shots such as low angle shots and high angle shots but I decided that I didn’t want to use them in the prelim as I wanted to stick to the storyboard as much as possible. However, we also filmed each shot we already filmed again to provide more clips for editing in case there was something wrong with what we filmed so I could use the additional shots for the prelim.

If I could have done this again I would have filmed the prelim in a place where there was no background noise. I would also have liked to film each shot more times with a variety of camera angles to give a bigger selection when editing, making it easier to follow the storyboard and certifying that we have all the correct shots we need.


Although we filmed as a group, we edited individually. This allowed us to experiment with techniques and practise and build our editing skills which will help when editing our thrillers in our groups.

No comments:

Post a Comment